Humber Freight Movements
Barnetby is one of the busiest junctions for goods trains in the country. Many English Welsh and Scottish (EWS) trains pass through. Immingham and Grimsby, and the steel works at Scunthorpe, all generate traffic. North of the Humber, at Saltend and around Hull, similar if less varied freight flows start and end.
Barnetby is a good place for goods train spotting. A nearby place (just east) where people often gather is the road from Ulceby which goes over the railway. There is a place to park a few cars actually on the bridge. All these flows listed below are variable.
- Locomotive facilities - a traction maintenance depot at Immingham.
- Red gypsum industrial waste is carried from Grimsby to Roxby landfill site, Scunthorpe.
- Styrene monomer runs from Immingham to Stalybridge (AtoChem).
- Polypropylene runs from the Humber Refinery (Conoco, south of Humber) to Baglan Bay (South Wales) and Stanlow (near North Wales).
- Acetic acide moves from BP Saltend (north of Humber) to Spondon (Derby), Baglan Bay (South Wales) and Mostyn (North Wales).
- From the Humber Refinery (Conoco, south of Humber) moves petrochemicals to Sinfin (Derby), Kingsbury, Bedworth (West Midlands), Rectory Junction (Nottingham), Cottham, West Burton (East Midlands) and Langley (South East).
- From the Lindsey Refinery (Total/ Fina, south of Humber) moves petrochemicals to Ashton (Lancashire), Drax, Eggborough, Leeds (Yorkshire), Jarrow, Sunderland and Boulby (North East).
- Iron ore is moved from Immingham to Scunthorpe steel works.
- Slab (metal) moves from Tinsley (Avesta, steelworks) to Immingham. It can come from Wolverhampton and beyond too. Slab (Bloom) (metal) runs from Scunthorpe to Lackenby (near Middlesbrough). Bar (Billet) (metal) goes between Scunthorpe and Wolverhampton both ways.
- The Enterprise wagonload network includes Hull and Immingham in runs to and from Doncaster concerning feeder trips into the trunk network.
- Aggregate material moves from the Tilcon quarry site at Rylston to Dairycoates, Hull.
- Hull coal terminal sends industrial coal to Ketton (Midlands) cement works.
- Immingham sends coal to Scunthorpe and Redcar steel works but coal also goes from Onllwyn in South Wales to Immingham Furnacite works.