THE UNIVERSITY OF HULL
Qualifying Examination for the Special Degree of Bachelor of Arts: ECONOMIC & SOCIAL HISTORY, SOUTH EAST ASIAN STUDIES
Qualifying Examination for the Joint Degree of Bachelor of Arts: ECONOMICS, POLITICS & SOCIOLOGY, ECONOMIC & SOCIAL HISTORY AND ECONOMICS
Ancillary Examination for the Degree of Bachelor of Arts: POLITICS
Written Examination for the DIPLOMA IN POLITICS
Departmental Examination for First Year Special and Joint POLITICS
Departmental Examination for Second year Special SOCIAL STUDIES
Saturday 9th June, 9.30 am - 12.30 pm
Answer FOUR questions, ONE from each section
- Is it possible to define politics without reference to coercion?
- Are political elitism and liberal democracy compatible?
- Are fascist and communist regimes more alike than unlike?
- "Authoritarian regimes in the Third World govern more by power than by authority." Discuss
- "The United States began as a liberal society and democracy was added later." Discuss.
- To what extent are the decision-making powers of the President limited by the other branches of government in the United States? Illustrate your answer with examples drawn from recent history.
- What accounts for the limited effectiveness of political parties in the United States?
- "In the United States, elections are many but the interest in them is slight." What factors account for this?
- "The powers of interest groups in the U.S. political process are excessive and undesirable." Are they and, if so, why?
- Would you accept the proposition that the Soviet Constitution is 'form without substance'?
- What measures does the CPSU employ to ensure its monopoly of power?
- Are analogies with western democratic parties helpful to the student of the CPSU?
- What are the distinctive features of the Soviet system of economic planning?
- Has the USSR ceased to be totalitarian?
- In what ways did the Democrat Party promote and in what ways inhibit the development of liberal-democracy in Turkey between 1950-60?
- What were the main principles at issue in the process of constitution making in Turkey in 1960 and 1961?
- To what extent have Turkish trade unions become politicised?
- "The military intervention in Turkey of 1971 revealed a complete change in the military's attitude towards politics." Discuss.